Friday, January 6, 2012

DESPERATE



            DESPERATE


"I want to go home," my mother shouted
As we drove north, away from the place
Where she used to live.

Angrier, she became, and panicked.
Huddled in my old winter coat,
Against the door
As far from me as possible.

The New Jersey turnpike was choked
Over the horizon and beyond.
I clunked the automatic locks.

This is terrible, I thought --
Explaining why, for the hundredth time,
The journey was taking so long.

I felt like the biggest rat in the world
And a liar, too, telling her we'd be home soon,
Meaning my home, not hers.

As we traveled through the rain, she read
Road signs that made her giggle:
"Whippany!" "Parsippany!"
She said Mahwah was really funny,
And Ho Ho Kus a total scream.



Elinore Standard
From Uptown Dogtown


No comments:

Post a Comment